After working as a mediator and attorney for a number of years, Jane Beddall founded Dovetail Resolutions, LLC in 2006 to provide mediation services to help parties in conflict reach resolutions tailored to their interests. Her specific focus now is work as a family business mediator and family wealth mediator.
Awards and Leadership Positions
In 2014, Ms. Beddall was honored as a recipient of The Honorable Robert C. Zampano Award for Excellence in Mediation. Community Mediation, Inc. created the award in 1993 in honor of U.S. District Court Judge Robert C. Zampano, a pioneer in mediation and alternative dispute resolution. The award recognizes and celebrates leadership, initiative, and creativity in mediation in Connecticut.
Ms. Beddall served as Co-Chair of the Connecticut Bar Association Alternative Dispute Resolution Section for the 2013-2014 bar year.
In April 2012, she was elected President of the New England Chapter of the Association for Conflict Resolution and served a one-year term. She was elected to the Board in 2010; in 2011 and 2013, she was elected Secretary of the organization.
- B.A., Economics, Trinity College (Hartford)
- M.A., Public Policy Analysis, University of Pennsylvania (concentration in conflict resolution)
- J.D., cum laude, University of Pennsylvania
- Certificates in Family Business Advising and Family Wealth Advising awarded by the Family Firm Institute, international professional organization, 2016
- Over 160 hours in mediation, arbitration, and facilitation education and training, since 1987, as well as numerous continuing legal education programs.
In the spring term of 2011, Ms. Beddall taught “Alternative Dispute Resolution: Models and Practice” as an adjunct professor at the University of New Haven. Prior to that, she taught as an adjunct instructor at the University of Connecticut School of Law (Moot Court) and the University of New Haven (Evidence).
Pro bono and Volunteer Work
In 2007, Ms. Beddall was appointed by the Connecticut Bar Association President to the CBA’s Legal Fee Dispute Resolution Committee, and served for eight years.
Ms. Beddall has served as a volunteer mediator for Community Mediation, Inc., and the Dispute Settlement Center, as a VISTA volunteer, and as a board member of a private foundation, a social service agency, and a municipal authority.
- Attorneys for Family-Held Enterprises (AFHE)
- New York City Family Enterprise Center, Professional Advisory Board
- Family Firm Institute — Certificates in Family Business Advising and Family Wealth Advising; active in FFI New York City Study Group
- Purposeful Planning Institute — Completed Purposeful Trusts and Gifts Mastery Program in 2015
- Exit Planning Exchange (XPX), Connecticut Chapter
- Connecticut Estate and Tax Planning Council
- Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR), the international association of dispute resolution professionals
- International Association of Facilitators (IAF)